Re: When do periodicals become outdated? (David Goodman) Marcia Tuttle 06 Mar 2002 20:09 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 14:57:03 -0500
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: When do periodicals become outdated? (Michael Spencer)

The best way is, of course, to measure the use in your own library, but
if you need to go by approximate guidelines, don't just go by subject,
but by importance of the journal in the subject. It is a general rule
that in any discipline the most important few titles get most of the
use.
For example, in our library Journal of biological chemistry is in the
Biology library for 1970 and later, and the years from 1905-1969 are in
our Annex. However, Journal of biochemistry, a much less important
title, is in the Biology Library only for 1995+, and 1951-94 is in the
Annex.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and