Shelving current serial issues separately ? (Debbie Holme) Marcia Tuttle 06 Mar 2002 20:50 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:13:47 -0500
From: Debbie Holme <dholme@ZOI.LIB.UWO.CA>
Subject: Shelving current serial issues separately ?

Hi Serial list group

    Please reply to the list...

    I have worked in a large academic library for 20+ years and the
current issues have always been shelved separately from the bound
volumes.

    We are mid transition in canceling our print journal subscriptions
and going to electronic access. At the present time, we have canceled
approximately 1000 titles. The remaining 2000 subscriptions are shelved
flat on open shelves. We anticipate a high student enrollment in the
next year, and have been mandated by our administration to find more
student study space in the library.

    At the same time reference staff indicate students are having
trouble understanding where they should look for journals. Current
receipts, recent issues, and bound volumes...

our head librarian is proposing that we dismantle the current
periodicals area, consolidate and the shelve the current issues in
pamphlet boxes at the end of their respective bound titles...

        Do other libraries shelve the current issues in the same
location as the bound volumes?  What kind of problems have you
experienced ?

        time required to shelve ?
        increased vandalism    ?
        Missing or misshelved issues        ?