Database Prices (Dan Lester; 2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 07 Mar 2002 14:05 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:43:21 -0700
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re: databases prices

Most databases don't have fixed prices that can be listed in a catalog.
In most cases you need to contact a sales representative, who will take
information such as your number of patrons, type of library, and so forth,
and present you with a proposal. In some cases it may be possible to
negotiate from that point, but most prices offered will be firm.

Although the vendors may have a hidden formula they use in pricing their
services or products, it is unlikely that they'll ever tell you what that
formula is.  You will certainly find that databases that are available
from multiple suppliers will vary widely in price. Then you can decide
whether it is worth an interface you prefer or whether you'd rather save
money.  If you're buying multiple databases from one of your suppliers you
can usually get some sort of quantity discount if you ask for it.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA

----------(2)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:47:08 -0700
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re: databases prices (David Goodman)

> But in most cases these prices are in fact taken from a simple schedule,
> and the vendor might as well publish the schedule.

There may be a simple schedule, but it certainly isn't cast in stone.
Sales reps and their managers have certain amounts of flexibility. There
are also combination prices that can be negotiated.  In addition, some
libraries or consortia will by choice or regulation engage in competitive
bidding.

> Among the better reasons many vendors don't is the hope that they will
> be more likely to sell an expensive product if they have the chance to
> demonstrate it.

I certainly don't consider a demonstration a bad thing.  In fact, I don't
believe we licensed ANY of the some 80 databases we now have without a 30
day free trial.

That being said, we don't do every trial that is offered to us by some
sales representative who is using the usual Cocaine Theory of Marketing.
If we have no interest in the product, or if we know that there is no
money available, we don't bother with the trial.

dan