Re: Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage shelving? (Diane Neumeister) Diane Neumeister 15 Mar 2002 19:37 UTC

Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:26:09 -0600
From:         Diane Neumeister <DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage shelving?
              (Helen Guenter)

Thank you, Helen!  I think we need individual title labels, too, but I
have to convince people who don't agree, so every little bit of support
helps.

One question: Do you have the lift-up display shelving with storage behind
or do you have fixed shelves?  I ask because I've had some reports of
problems with people scratching or cutting themselves on the corners of
the label holders when they raise the shelf to get at the back issues.

Di
Di Neumeister
Serials Coordinator
Wahlert Memorial Library
Loras College

e-mail: dneumeis@loras.edu

>>> guenter@UAMONT.EDU 03/15/02 10:47AM >>>
Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:34:56 -0600
From:         Helen Guenter <guenter@UAMONT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage
shelving? (Diane Neumeister)

Di,

        We like our new shelving with clip-on plastic label holders.  We
insert computer-made labels into the holders, giving a neat appearance
that is easy to maintain.  Labels stay in place but can be shifted easily
as titles are added or deleted.  (The stick-on label holders that we had
earlier were very unsatisfactory.  We also resorted to using super-glue
with little success.)

With these new holders we had some problems in putting labels on the
bottom shelves, but several creative staff members solved that by raising
the shelving slightly with a crow-bar and sliding the holders underneath
it.  Now we leave these holders in place and simply move the inserted
labels as needed.

We definitely wanted labels for each title because the boxes are sometimes
left empty when titles are in use, at the bindery, or received on
microfilm. If there were no labels for each title, our shelvers wouldn't
know where to put the issues on the shelves (as we noticed when our
stick-on labels fell off).

Good luck in finding a labeling system that works for your library.  Our
new system has really made our lives much easier and patrons like it, too.

Helen Guenter
Serials and Reference Librarian
University of Arkansas at Monticello
<guenter@UAMONT.EDU>