Re: Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage shelving? (John Lucas) John Lucas 15 Mar 2002 19:37 UTC

Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:36:56 -0600
From:         John Lucas <jlucas@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage shelving?
              (Diane Neumeister)

Hello Di and all:

The opinions are my own and of no one else at the institution.
(DISCLAIMER)

On our "older" current display shelves, there is a gap between the
bottom of the 'flip down display' and the edge of the shelf.  For these
shelves, the clip on works best.

I have created a small template in a word processing program to fit
either one or two lines on the label.  Print it out, insert in the label
holder and place it on the edge of the shelf.   We have gone with the
label holders found in Highsmith.

However, when we recently added some current display shelving, we
somehow got display shelving where the edge of the shelf was covered up
by the ' flip down display ' so the clip on label holders would not
work. There is a large edge on the 'flip down display' where a label can
be placed

I looked at both the magnetic and peel-off-and- stick label holders.
We did not want to have holders on the ' flip down display' with no
title, there and wanted the ability to move them around.

The 'all in one magnetic holders' at the time did not really appeal to
us so what we ended up doing was buying the 'peel-off-and-stick' holders
that looked most closely like our clip on labels (also by label size)
and stuck it to cut off strips of flexible magnetic from the same
catalog.

I have found that the magnetic holders, either those we cobbled
together or complete ones that were available KEEP SLIDING AROUND
because they either get bumped,  or if mounted on the 'flip down
display' (the only  place available), keep moving and falling off.

The clip on ones are much less like to fall off.  Yes, they may get
moved along the shelf if they get rubbed against or if on the bottom,
may be pushed along the shelf or come off when housekeeping vacuums BUT
IN MY OPINION, the clip ons are better.

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262
<jlucas@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU>

>>> DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU 03/14/02 06:45PM >>>
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:20:23 -0600
From:         Diane Neumeister <DNEUMEIS@LORAS.EDU>
Subject:      Shelf label holders for magazine display/storage
shelving?

Hi all!

I'm wondering what kind of experience (positive or negative) others have
had with shelf label holders for the type of periodical shelving that has
storage for back issues behind a lift-up display shelf.

I'm especially interested in clip-on or magnetic holders and any problems
you've had with them.

I'd also like to know if someone (especially in the U.S. Midwest) has had
a positive experience with any type of adhesive shelf labels.  I've had
some clear plastic adhesive ones for years and I don't like them because
I've never found a good way to keep them stuck to the shelf!  I've tried
regluing them with a variety of glues over the years but even Super Glue
didn't work well.

Or do I even need the individual label holders?  Maybe a sign (ex:
"American Psychologist - Ariel") on the end of each range would be enough?
 I tend to think that wouldn't be enough, but...

We shelve the unbound issues in alphabetical order, two to four titles to
a shelf and we have about 1000 titles.  We're an academic library and the
shelving will be open-access (new for us).

Any suggestions are welcome.

You might want to respond to me directly at dneumeis@loras.edu and then I
can summarize for the list if anyone else is interested.

Thanks in advance!

Di

Di Neumeister
Serials Coordinator