Re: LARS binding software -- 3 messages: Stephen Clark 04 Apr 2002 18:25 UTC

3 messages:

1)------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: LARS binding software -- Mary Williams
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:23:14 -0600
From: Susan Andrews <Susan_Andrews@TAMU-COMMERCE.EDU>

Mary,

We went with LARS a year or two ago and it was pretty smooth and fairly
easy learn (one bonus, when the person is inputting the slips, they can
have a window open to the check-in system and just check to be sure that
they have everything, including supplements).  I had only 2 glitches.
The
first was the fact that the system will only work with certain printers,
and I didn't have any of what they needed (all too old) and my director
felt that was a software problem and she shouldn't have to spend less
than
$75 to get what we needed.  It turned out that a laser printer will do,
and
I have a used laser printer.  Also, since I have more than one person
that
may work on the bindery, or need that information, we had to network the
software (also because of the printer).  Not a real problem, just
something
to think about.  It did turn out however, that even when someone else
got
another laser printer that might have been convenient to use, we could
only
set up *1* printer for use in the networked environment.  A little
inconvenient (especially for me) at times.  The final problem I am told
that I am the only person to have had.  We decided after the first
shipment
to go with ftping the shipment.  They sent us the disks, we loaded them
(and my LARS stuff is on my D drive, and I have virtually nothing else
on
that drive) and the first time that I used the ftp my computer informed
me
that I had the Funlove virus and it was attached to my LARS files.  I
ran
the cleanup program, everything was fine until I tried to ftp LARS again
and up popped Funlove.  I had the Computing Dept. guys come over with a
special disk to clean it up (the computer guy made a copy of the virus,
because he thought that it was quite interesting).  The next time I
ftped,
up Funlove popped.  We uninstalled and cleaned the ftp disks and
reinstalled, and still had the problem.  We got new disks from Heckman,
uninstalled and reinstalled with the new disks and still had the
problem.
Heckman checked things out and said there was no problem on their
disks.  I
don't know what the problem was (and I halfway wonder if the fact that
we
are running Windows NT, which many people are not, could be part of the
problem), but I finally got sick of having to run the virus cleaning
program all the time and we uninstalled the ftp for LARS.  I haven't had
any problems with Funlove since and we send the shipment via diskette.

I think that LARS makes typing the shipment faster and a lot more error
free (especially in the title field).  One more thing, Heckman is
working
on new Bindery software (LINC, I think) which they anticipate having out
next year.  It is supposed to be pretty similar, just have more report
report capabilities and flexibility.  If you want any more info., just
give
me a holler.

Susan

Susan Andrews
Head, Serials Librarian
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Susan_Andrews@tamu-commerce.edu
(903)886-5733
"Your Success Is Our Business"

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:55:20 -0500
From: Sandi Baker <bakersan@LAW.MSU.EDU>

I'm new to this program, but everything appears to be running smoothly.
Thanks,
Sandi Baker