Re: Industry Week numbering -- Jeanette Skwor Stephen Clark 02 May 2002 19:19 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Industry Week numbering -- addendum
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:00:03 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>

***I took the liberty of replying to Ms. Schlott with the Michael Madej
portion of this.  I'll let you know what she says.  :-)

***I just love this job.

Jeanette Skwor

The numbering in the Proquest list is incorrect until the April 2002 issue
which is correctly shown as v.251 no.3.  If you open the PDF version of
the table of contents for the Feb. 2002, it plainly says v.251 no.2,
despite being called v.251 no.1 on Proquest's list of available issues.
Likewise, Mar. 2002 has v.251 no.3 on the contents page but is v.251 no.2
on Proquest's list.

I just got off the phone with Micheal Madej at Penton Media (they publish
Industry Week).  Here's the scoop.  They deliberately repeated the issue
numbering on the April 2002 issue: both March and April 2002 are correctly
numbered as v.251 no.3.  They did this to adjust the numbering after
having skipped v.251 no.1 (since there was no January issue).  Penton
apparently got a lot of negative feedback from subscribers about the first
issue for 2002 being called "no.2", so they decided on repeating the
numbering on the March and April issues as a way of "fixing" it.  (Seems
like compounding the error to me, but then I wasn't there ;-)

Hope this helps clear things up.

--Linda

                            Linda M. Pitts
                  Head, Serials Receipts, UW Libraries

Serials Receipts Section                e-mail: lmpitts@u.washington.edu
Serials - Suzzallo                      v-mail: (206)685-3979
Box 352900                              phone:  (206)543-1863
Seattle, WA 98195-2900