Re: Standing orders -- Susan Davis Stephen Clark 09 May 2002 18:22 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Standing orders -- Fatme Charafeddine
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:06:17 -0400
From: Susan Davis <unlsdb@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>

One of the tools we like to use to help us with claims and "latest
published" information is to peruse other libraries' catalogs via the web.
You can't always see information about delays in publication, but often
you can see the latest receipt (or even receipt history) for a particular
serial.

For example, you can visit our webcatalog at:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/e-resources/bison/

Each of my staff has their own list of favorite catalogs to search.  We
particularly like Ohio State University because they subscribe to a lot of
serials and have a lot in common with our holdings.  You can also search
the entire OhioLink catalog to see who else in Ohio holds the serial.
http://www.lib.ohio-state.edu/ (we pick OSCAR to see more detailed
information).

Sometimes you can see receipt history through your subscription/serials
vendor's website. Contact your customer service representative to see if
your agent can provide you with this information.

And you can also try going to amazon.com (or other bookstore site) or go
directly to the publishers website.  (see AcqWeb for a fabulous list of
publisher websites: http://acqweb.library.vanderbilt.edu/ )

There's a lot of information out there, you just have to dig a little.
And sometimes you simply have to email or call to find out what you need
to know.  The web is only a tool at our disposal.

Good luck!

Susan
Susan Davis                       Chair, Serials Section (ALCTS)
Head, Periodicals                    2001/02
Acquisitions Dept.
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Lockwood Library Bldg.
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200