Re: Micro-opaque? (Frank Sadowski) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 May 2002 16:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:54:53 -0400
From: Frank Sadowski <fsadowski@RCL.LIB.ROCHESTER.EDU>
Subject: Re: Micro-opaque? (Buddy Pennington)

Buddy,  Micro-opaques are essentially a dead technology, and readers are
hard to come by.  The micro-image is printed on a paper base (just like
your Kodak snapshots), and the reader bounces light off the surface
rather than shines through.  Therefore, your readers will not work.  If
you don't find a reader somewhere, a very powerful magnifier will do the
job, but this is difficult and not very satisfactory.  I believe there
may be some company(ies?) out there who can convert micro-opaques
(Microprint and microcards) to microfiche or film, but I'm sorry I can't
give you a reference.  Some companies, like Readex (a division of
Newsbank, inc.), are converting their micro-opaque titles (in Readex's
case, Microprint) to microfilm, but slowly.  The one collection I know
Readex is working on is Early American Newspapers (see
http://www.readex.com/scholarl/earlamnp.html).
-------------------------
Frank E. Sadowski Jr.
Principal Cataloger
River Campus Libraries
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0055

585.275.4496
franks@rcl.lib.rochester.edu

Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 15:53:40 -0500
From: "MD_Buddy (Buddy Pennington)" <MD_Buddy@KCLIBRARY.ORG>
Subject: Micro-opaque?

Hi all,

All we have here at are library are machines that read microfiche and
microfilm.  We have run up against some items that we can only get in
format known as micro-opaque.  Will standard microfiche/film machines
be
able to read that or not?  What exactly is micro-opaque?

Buddy Pennington
Document Delivery Librarian
Kansas City Public Library
md_buddy@kclibrary.org