Re: Claiming statistics? (Idith Bar-Nachum) SERIALST Moderator 24 Jun 2002 19:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:31:47 +0300
From: Idith Bar-Nachum <idithb@savion.cc.huji.ac.il>
Subject: RE: Claiming statistics? (Carol Feustel)

I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD Carol wrote!

As to allegedly claiming too late:

First of all, maybe not all of you know this, but in most issues there is
a claim-note that states the upper-time-limit that the publisher accepts
claims for that title. We enter this note into the title's check-in
record, and try to build our edas (expected date of arrival) accordingly
(we use the ALEPH system). So if a pub answers that it is too late to
receive a free replacement, and the first (original) claim was made
within the allowed time-span - usually we receive the claimed issue in
the end.

Secondly, I found out (in the hard way), that in many cases, vendors DO
NOT MENTION THE DATE OF THE FIRST (ORIGINAL) CLAIM in the 2nd, 3rd etc.
claim they send to the pub. So the pub treats the 2nd claim as if it is
the 1st , and responds - too late to claim. One again I have to start a
saga of correspondence, to prove, that the original claim WAS made in due
time.

As our edas are set very cautiously, and as I do claiming once a month -
I can say, that in 99% of the cases, we claim in due time, so that if an
answer of "too late" is received - it really makes me jump ...

Idith

    Idith Bar-Nachum
    Head - Periodicals Dept.
    Harman Science Library

    Hebrew University                       Tel.  972-2-6584567
    Givat-Ram, Jerusalem                  Fax  972-2-6586237
    Israel 91904               Email: idithb@savion.cc.huji.ac.il