Re: Q for publishers (Was: RE: Mis-addressing of labels) (Jeanette Skwor) SERIALST Moderator 25 Jun 2002 14:34 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:30:01 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@uwgb.edu>
Subject: RE: Q for publishers (Was: RE: Mis-addressing of labels) (Rick Anderson)

***Ah, a difference in librarians as broad as the difference in publishers,
is that it?

***We do see life darkly, as through a mirror, don't we?  And so much of
what we see is ourselves, reflected back as the world.  Those of us with
neat offices, up-to-date checkins and a claiming process that includes
checking the holdings (and arrival dates, on Innovative) of other
libraries before claiming an issue cannot fathom publishers who don't
know/believe what we do.  And those of us with perhaps a smaller staff, a
different attitude toward what may or may not have arrived, take a more
lackadaisical view, and say, hey, a lot of us are this way.

***Darn.  It was so much more fun being the good guy in the Publisher
Wars.

***Seriously, thanks for your insight.  I *do* know people (well, one
person, really well ;) with an office like you describe.  I also believe
there are more.  Once again, communication seems to be the key.  And that
brings us back, at least somewhat, to where we started.  If we know our
claims are viable, we need to communicate that to the publisher.  And if
the publisher continues to stonewall, we need to follow through.  Our
library just cancelled a $1050 subscription to a monthly magazine for
which we did not get 5 issues the first year we published.  I *know* we
did not get them. I also know all of my claims were absolutely and
totally ignored.  Luckily, it also happened to be something that was not
widely used (perhaps because almost half the issues were unavailable?)

***Thanks, Rick.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept.
Cofrin Library