Re: Bindery (Jo Ann Williams) Birdie MacLennan 04 Jun 2002 22:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:24:50 -0500
From: "Jo Ann Williams" <JWILLIAM@lib-gw.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bindery

Dear Karen:

At Texas A&M University Libraries we have Voyager which does not have a
bindery module yet. Our previous ILS, NOTIS, did provide us with a pull
list which we still miss. When we brought Voyager up we created an Access
program that provides us with a pull list.  With about 8000 titles in our
current periodicals room, a pull list is needed to save labor and time.
Also the Access program provides an area to keep binding colors, binding
frequencies or patterns, and other information needed to bind a volume.
Voyager has promised a partial binding module with the next release and I
can't wait to use it.

We also use the software package provided by out commercial binder,
Heckman, to produce binding slips.  If you have this option, I would use
it.

Jo Ann Williams
Texas A&M University
5000 TAMU
College Station TX  77843-5000
979-845-5956
joannwilliams@tamu.edu

>>> bolton@MSOE.EDU 06/04/02 08:54AM >>>
Hello All,

We are a small engineering library, and we want to get more methodical
about how we bind periodicals. The integrated library system we use
(Horizon) has a bindery module, and we are considering using it, but
wondered what other colleges are doing in this regard.

If your online system includes a bindery function, do you use it?  If
not, do you use some other software to remind you when to pull a volume
for bindery?  Do you track what is bound and what isn't in your system?
Have you been satisfied with whatever you are using?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Karen Bolton
Serials Librarian