Re: Claiming and vendor response (2 messages) Birdie MacLennan 10 Jun 2002 17:30 UTC

2 messages, 108 lines:

(1)--------------------
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:31:34 -0500
From: "John Lucas" <jlucas@rowland.umsmed.edu>
Subject: Re: Claiming and vendor response

Deb:

We have about 2300 subscriptions, spread over 5 agents, although one of
them handles most of our book series.  Up until a couple of years ago,
most was with one agent.  All but that one have electronic claiming in
place.

Our limit is 10 reclaims.  However we have found, that often that if it
goes past the 3 or 4th claim, it will not get filled.  We get the
monthly claims reports from the subscription agents (S.A.) and it is
IMPORTANT to respond to them.  (at times it is not easy to keep up).

Depending on the journal, the claim to the publisher may not have been
processed by them before the next claim is sent by us to the S.A.  For
some of the really important jrls, we will continue up through the 10
and sometimes around 7 or 8, restart the claim from our # 1 count.

As for using backfile dealers, we do have a budget and we send an order
usually in March.  We identify titles throughout the year, when we go to
bind and find either the issue was never sent or has turned up missing..
 We put these vols. in our incompletes, create a list and I also put
those titles on a separate list for the backfile dealer.

I then, whenever possible, use BackMed to search for those
title/vol/issues and come up with a fair number of them.  Only then, do
we try the backfile dealer.

++++ It is IMPORTANT we all OFFER OUR back issues  to a backfile dealer,
even if you  DO NOT USE backfile dealers.  Those issues then become
available to ALL OF US to complete our volumes (and bring a little
credit / cash back into your library.

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262
<jlucas@rowland.umsmed.edu>

(2)---------------------------
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:34:31 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@uwgb.edu>

***I claim 3 times, 6 weeks apart, with exceptions.  (I have been known
to claim 5 or 6 times - the latest was when the pub told the vendor that
the issue in question had not ever been published and I could see it in
several library catalogs online.)

***Some titles (weekly, very expensive, looks like a subs lapse, for
example) I call my vendor rep on instead of just filing the claim
electronically.

***There are also those I claim direct because I know in the past they
have not honored vendor requests, and I am more passionate (read: do not
give up).

***We use Faxon and do always get a response from them, although it may
reflect that the pub did not respond.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept.
Cofrin Library