Re: Claiming statistics? (Albert Henderson) SERIALST Moderator 24 Jun 2002 19:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:31:36 -0400
From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Claiming statistics?

on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU> wrote:

> It is almost impossible in a large library (with current systems and
> staffing) to generate a claim for a quarterly except after at least 3
> months, when the next issue arrives.
>
> For monthlies, we have all had the experience of:
> 1st claiming the next month--no response
> 2nd claiming 2 months later -- no response (it typically takes at least
> that long for the claimed issued to arrive, so there's no point
> in 2nd-claiming earlier)
> 3rd claiming another 2 months later-- response: your claim is 5 months
> after publication, which is too late.
>
> I'm sure Al didn't do that when he was a publisher, but not all of his
> colleagues are as conscientious.

        I didn't do that, but I don't doubt the tale.

        Training for publishers is left to an apprentice system.
        Small publishers, particularly those far from centers
        like New York, do not have the resources to train well or
        the opportunities to hire experienced people who have worked
        for the larger firms. Too often the intern who is left to
        make important decisions is simply left guessing
        [incorrectly] while his/her manager is off at FASEB.

        This may offer good reason why librarians should celebrate
        when a smaller publisher merges with one of the conglomerates.
        At least claims should be professionally handled.

        Meanwhile, the anecdotes told by publishers, however,
        usually feature claims made at binding time. Some come 18
        or 24 months after publication. Unfortunately it only takes
        one bad experience to breed an attitude.

        Thanks for your comment.

        Best wishes,

Albert Henderson
Former Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532@compuserve.com>