Re: Online vs. print periodicals David Goodman 24 Jul 2002 18:57 UTC

Because one might not trust publishers to maintain the online files
properly.
The most noteworthy example I know of is that when the editor of Human
Immunology withdrew an article from their Sept 2001 issue, the editor of
the journal asked the publisher to physically remove it from their
online file, and the publisher did.
Those who bought it in paper still have the article, though they have
presumably marked it "retracted," as is the customary practice.

If this ever happens again with any journal from that publisher, I will
probably change my view on the appropriateness of electronic-only
access, at least with respect to this particular publisher.

--
David Goodman
Research Librarian and