Re: Print vs Online Radcliff, Joyce 12 Jul 2002 19:30 UTC

Rick,

Most online databases aren't archival and that is the main problem and danger when deciding to pitch the print for online.  Databases are forever dropping and adding titles.  Our library is de-selecting only those journals that are found in JSTOR, since they are the only database that is archival and tries to cover from volume one of all their holding.  It would be nice if all databases would promise the same as JSTOR.  Please let me know if there are others that are reliable.

Joyce

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Anderson [mailto:rickand@UNR.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 9:55 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: Print vs Online

> Our Reference Librarians are so enthralled with all the new full text
> databases that we are having to cancel more and more of our print
> periodicals to finance the online things.   I am concerned that
> it won't be
> but a few years and we will have no current periodicals left.

I think the question your library needs to be asking itself is not "Do we
have too much online and not enough print?" but rather "Are we making the
most and best possible information available to our patrons in the way that
works best for them?"  Our library is tending in the same direction as
yours -- generally replacing print with online.  Why?  Because print is, and
has always been, a pretty lousy way to disseminate information (especially
reference information).  In the past we didn't have a choice.  Now we do.
Online products are usually deeply searchable, can be used by multiple
patrons at a time, can be used remotely, and are available 24 hours a day.
Print products are generally searchable in only a very limited way, can be
used by only one patron at a time, can only be used in the library, and are
only available when the library is open.  Not all online resources are
better than their print counterparts, of course.  But most of them are.

Does this trend mean that some of us may end up with no current periodicals
in print form?  Maybe (though I doubt it).  But again, that's not the
important question.  The important question is how we can best meet the
needs of our patrons.  We need to be able to answer that question honestly,
and follow the answer wherever it takes us.

Rick Anderson
Director of Resource Acquisition
The University Libraries
University of Nevada, Reno      "I'm not against the modern
1664 No. Virginia St.            world.  I just don't think
Reno, NV  89557                  everything's for sale."
PH  (775) 784-6500 x273             -- Elvis Costello
FX  (775) 784-1328
rickand@unr.edu