Smudging Ink on Stamps/Stampers (4 messages) Marcia Tuttle 06 Aug 2002 21:29 UTC

----------1
Subject: RE:      Smudging Ink on stamps/stampers
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:02:37 -0500
From: "Mays, Allison" <maysap@millsaps.edu>

We print out labels with call numbers for our serials, using standard dot
matrix-style address labels. They have enough room so we can stamp the label.  We
are also using a smaller stamp than before, so we can squeeze it beside the call
number.

Wars were fought over this issue in one of my previous places of employment. I have
also used a quick drying ink that I got at a local store; only problem is that it
dries so quickly, you have to reink the pad every day and we get so few serials in a
day that it wasn't worth it. But the stuff works great.  If you're processing a lot
of serials, you might try the fast-drying ink. Call a local stamp store, see what
they have. It wasn't expensive. Or consider getting cheap labels and stamping those.

Allison
**************
Allison P. Mays
Acquisitions Librarian
Millsaps College
1701 N. State Street
Jackson, MS 39210
601-974-1083
maysap@millsaps.edu

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:04:21 -0500
From: "Heydari, Terre" <theydari@post.cis.smu.edu>

Jeanette,

We do not stamp directly on the issue.  We stamp white labels 3 1/2" x 1 7/16" and
place the label on the issue. This seems to eliminate the smudging and smearing.

Terre Heydari
Center for Information Processing
Central University Libraries
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Texas 75275-0135
theydari@mail.smu.edu
214-768-3637

----------3
From: "Peter Picerno" <ppicerno@nova.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:10:48 -0400

Jeanette,

This was a problem which I noticed at my last job, and I believe that it has
to do with the gloss finish on the paper rather than the ink. The result,
however, is the same: i.e., the ink doesn't dry for a long time and it
smears even after it's 'dry' when it comes into contact with moisture such
as skin oils. I believe we ended up using white labels which we stamped and
attached to the journals since we couldn't find an ink which would dry
quickly and completely. Often the same paper finish is used throughout the
issue so it's not even a matter of stamping internally, and that's why we
adopted the solution we did.

If someone else has a better suggestion I think we'd all love to know what
it is!

P Picerno

----------4
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 13:15:24 -0800
From: Alexis Tibor <alexis.tibor@uaa.alaska.edu>

We had stickers made.  That solved our problem.  If you still need the date
though, you can purchase blank stickers and then stamp those.  Once we started
using an automated check in system we didnt need the date on the issue any more
since it was in the computer.  That was when we decided to have property
stickers made.
It seems to work well for us.

Alexis Tibor
University of Alaska Anchorage