Re: Ascertaining issue usage (Was: RE: Quit Checking In Journal Issue s?) David Goodman 15 Aug 2002 20:57 UTC

Jeanette, as far as I know everyone has problems with this. The
comparability of the data for print and electronic journals and the
different purposes of the two formats, are major concerns, and we are
all thinking about it.

Watch this list, and elsewhere, for further discussion (and there will
be a post-conference of journal use at the Charleston Conference this
October-November, where I expect this and many related issues will be
discussed. There will also be a session on the meaning of "use" at the
Fall ASIST meeting in Philadelphia.)

Personally, I'll summarize the preliminary results from Princeton:
given the choice, everyone prefers to look up an article and if
necessary print it from a electronic version rather than print. Given a
journal one wants to actually read through (completely or partially),
print is still much used--the clearest examples are journals like Nature
and Science.

But I suspect that Chuck meant merely that, to a large extent, the major
journals are available in electronic format and the ones that aren't are
increasingly the marginal ones.
--David

--
David Goodman