Re: Journal evaluation Peter Picerno 28 Aug 2002 14:14 UTC

In a previous position I held we did an annual review of all serials titles
for each department based on use (this was for print titles in a basically
non-circulating collection) and use in relation to cost. Since it was a
place where there was a less-than-luxurious materials budget, it was
important to communicate to the faculties the need for being vigilant about
subscriptions. Each year, the acquisition of new titles was balanced against
the retention of old titles and decisions were made on the basis of how much
the department's fund allocation was and how that impacted not only their
journal titles but also their monograph and other library materials
acquisition funds. This was not necessarily a quick and easy process but
what it did was to bring the realities of materials acquisitions of all
types to the patrons who sometimes cried out the loudest and criticized the
most. When the 'big picture' was communicated, most of the time there was at
least acceptance of the decisions which needed to be made and why, and
sometimes the proverbial 'light' would go on in people's heads and they'd
see that more funding was necessary (and, of course, that was the time to
launch into the sermon about "library funding will only come when YOU, the
faculty, make your library needs known to the higher administration.") As a
result, I was often invited to departmental meetings (and only on a few
occasions did I feel I needed to wear a bullet-proof vest) along with
library liasons for that department, and basically, by involving faculty
members in the process, at least some understanding of the process was
communicated and I like to think that at least there was complicity in
decision making rather than a we-versus-them atmosphere. The bottom line, I
think, is to agree on an evaluation process and a decision making process in
concert with the patrons.

Peter V. Picerno