Salary information in job ads -- Dan Lester Stephen Clark 03 Sep 2002 13:15 UTC

Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:06:24 -0600
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Salary information in job ads

However, in the seven states where I've worked in public academic
libraries, the salaries have always been public information.  You may
have to go to the library reserve desk, to the public information
office, or elsewhere, but the information is public.  Personally, I've
never looked up what others make.  I don't care.  But I know many do
so, and occasionally I've heard complaints about "Mary makes more than
Sam, but he's a much better worker" and so forth.  Hey, if I looked
them up, I might feel the same way.  But why get in a tizzy over
something I can't do anything about?

I know that in much of the corporate world and in many private
academic institutions the salaries are not disclosed.  In fact, in
some companies, disclosing your salary to a colleague is grounds for
reprimand or dismissal.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA