Re: Library failure (RE: NOT the "Serials Crisis" -- Dan Lester) -- Thomas McCaffrey Stephen Clark 30 Sep 2002 14:06 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE:Library failure (RE: NOT the "Serials Crisis" -- Dan Lester)
--  Rick Anderson
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:46:11 -0400
From: "McCaffrey, Thomas" <McCaffrey@champlain.edu>

I disagree, very strongly, with all 3 of your answers here-- at least
depending on where the patron has come seeking these.  Perhaps a patron
of the Library of Congress, or one of the great libraries of the world,
would have an expectation of finding the Gutenberg bible, but for most
libraries, no.  And you condition that statement with "right away"--more
on that condition later.
        Your second statement is unclear--If you as a library are one of those
30, or are a major research facility where you can expect to gain access
to one of those 30 copies, then, in the course of time, yes, you should
be able to provide the use of that volume.  I wouldn't expect to be able
to fulfill such a request here, for example.
        Your third, the textbook, IS at the discretion of your library's
policies.  Again, if you are a major institution, with vast resources &
space, by all means, provide textbooks.  If you are a little hole in the
wall like we are, there is no space, let alone the staff for dealing
with acquisitioning texts.  If we are to serve the many, we must risk
disappointing the unreasonable few.
        And I take great exception with your expression of "right away"--There is
a difference between providing good service, and being "fast".  The
internet generation has come to believe that all things useful need to
be available at the speed of electronic light.  With all deliberate
speed, yes, your patrons have a right to believe you are doing your best
to fulfill their needs.  But 'right away"?  Sorry, there are no "Library
Emergencies", short of fire, flood, or earthquake.  Good things come to
those who wait.