Re: Microfilm reader printer upgrade? -- Terence Rose Stephen Clark 09 Sep 2002 17:55 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 11:54:18 -0400
From: "Terence Rose" <trose@michigan.gov>
Subject: Re: Microfilm reader printer upgrade? -- Katherine Hill

Hi Katherine,

I would considering renting a machine.  We have cancelled some microfim
for titles that are available in fulltext and we cancel some due to
budget reasons.  However,  We still have a large microflim collections
because a lot of titles have not been published in full text.  Also, we
buy titles such as newspaper's on microflim due to the nature of our
collection.  EX. Genealogist use our newspaper.  Also, the microfim copy
contains ads and other information that the e-copy will not have.

  However, you need to keep in mind that a recent Supreme Court
decisions, means that some titles in electroinc text may not have all
the articles.  This had created some implications for ILL as well.
Also, preservation community skill consider microfim as the best media
for preservation and usage.  Even with the  e-text microfliming will not
be disappearing.  Eventhough ,ProQuest is planning to start digtalizing
certain publlications to keep the colors of the orginal they are just
starting and it will be while before they gain a mass of publications.
They are current doing the New York Times.

So my best advice is to rent a machine,  the last library where I
worked did that.  Also, a lot of organizations are still using
microflim.  You can rent the latest machine and have the rental company
take care of maintance.  There are some pro and cons you need to weigh.
Pro rental cost per year vs purchase, maintance etc.

If you have any questions, email me.
Terence