Re: Microfilm reader printer upgrade? -- Werner Lind Stephen Clark 09 Sep 2002 20:02 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:39:44 -0400
From: Werner Lind <wlind@mail.bluefield.edu>
Subject: Re: Microfilm reader printer upgrade? -- Katherine Hill

For whatever it's worth, we did away with all of our microform holdings a
few years
ago, and nobody has missed them.  The format was very unpopular with the
patrons,
because of the cumbersome technology involved, and was hardly ever used.
Both
full-text computer databases and print subscriptions continue to be used,
and meet
our pattrons' research needs just fine (with an occasional ILL).
     On the other hand, we gave our microform reader/printer to a special
library in
Maryland, which was absolutely delighted to get it; so this technology
obviously still
meets a need for some libraries.  It all depends on your spatial constraints
and your patrons' total blend of information needs and format preferences,
and this will vary from institution to institution.

--
Werner A. Lind
Assistant Library Director