Need documentation on why institutional subscriptions -- Albert Henderson Stephen Clark 01 Oct 2002 13:32 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:18:11 -0400
From: Albert Henderson <chessNIC@compuserve.com>
   Carroll Bunting

on Fri, 27 Sep 2002 Anne Carroll Bunting <abunting@utmem.edu> wrote:

 > Some of the higher ups in the Chancellor's Office want to know why the
 > library can't cancel their institutional subscriptions and let
 > individual faculty members subscribe and the cheaper rate and pass their
 > issues on to the library.

        Well, we know where some of the escapees from
        Enron are turning up. This is the kind of
        creative thinking [euphemism for fraud] that
        comes as easily as breathing to the sociopaths
        that mar the professions of management, finance
        and accounting.

        Faculty members' special subscription rates
        are a member benefit and subject to rules of
        their professional memberships. Violating
        the rules would jeapordize their memberships.

        Moreover, if all institutions followed this
        idea, pretty soon it would force the 'member'
        price upward to cover costs of preparation
        now covered by the institutional rate. In
        other words, the 'member' rate would become
        equal to the 'institutional' rate.

        Of course, not all institutions would go for
        turning faculty into purchasing agents and
        serials clerks. Those that tried would become
        the parasites of the community, taking unfair
        advantage of those that honestly paid full
        price.

Albert Henderson
Former Editor, PUBLISHING RESEARCH QUARTERLY 1994-2000
<70244.1532@compuserve.com>