Re: Need Documentation on why institutional subscriptions (Christy Henrikson) SERIALST Moderator 07 Oct 2002 21:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:23:17 -0500
From: "Christy Henrikson" <chenrikson@barr.com>

Greetings -

I am facing a similar situation in that a member of a society here at my
company has offered to purchase a number of journal titles we are
interested in at his subscriber rate. My manager thinks this is an ok idea
since it would be a significant cost savings for us.

I've pointed out that according to the title page in the journals, "...it
is essential that members agree not to forward personal subscriptions to
libraries or reading rooms for at least 24 months after publication of the
last issue of the calendar year." While she agrees that it seems ethically
wrong, she wants to know what trouble would we be in if we went ahead and
did it anyway.  She also thinks that because we are a small library within
a small, private company this doesn't apply since the prohibition must be
against public/academic library access. I say it doesn't matter.

Can anyone point out any copyright law or examples of scofflaw that have
done this and consequences they've faced that will help back me up?

Thanks for your considered responses.

        Christy Henrikson <chenrikson@barr.com>