Re: Full text gaps (3 messages) SERIALST Moderator 15 Oct 2002 18:05 UTC

3 messages, 95 lines:

(1)---------------------
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:50:32 -0500
From: Alice Gormley <Alice.Gormley@marquette.edu>
Subject: Re: Full text gaps

Another aspect of this phenomenon is that the gaps may or may not be
permanent.  They are often reflective of delays in bringing up the
full-text, so even if we reflect these gaps in holdings we run the risk of
at some point reflecting gaps which are no longer there.

Good luck!--
Alice

Alice Gormley
Serials Librarian
Marquette University Libraries

Alice.Gormley@marquette.edu
414/288-7252

At 04:11 PM 10/14/2002 -0500, Peter Whiting wrote:
>I have run across a new phenomenon in cataloging electronic serials that
presents a new challenge. A major vendor, nameless to protect the guilty,
has full-text gaps for journals that have full-text coverage. For example
one journal has full-text coverage beginning in 1992. Then there is a
"full-text gap" of no full-text coverage between 8/1999 and 4/2001.
Full-text coverage resumes again in 5/2001.

>On the journal title list for this database, with "Full-Text Gaps" and
"Page Image Gaps," I counted over 60 journals that have coverage gaps. How
are libraries dealing with this? Are there any cataloging rules that cover
coverage gaps?

(2)---------------------
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:49:49 -0600
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>

  Why is this any different from having to use specific holdings
  statements on print journals for which you have a gap?  It seems
  most libraries would have many of those.  Perhaps you started a
  print title in 1999, and you've only been able to buy some back
  volumes or microfilm.  So you might have microfilm 1922-1990, hard
  copy 1993-1997, and 1999-.

  It would seem that this is a problem for recording the checkin data,
  not the actual cataloging.  In our TDNet implementation we have some
  of those gaps in electronic holdings, but most of them have the data
  provided by the vendors, so it shows clearly in the record.

  dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA

(3)---------------------
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 07:14:58 +0200
From: "Anneke Houtkamp" <JHM.Houtkamp@ubvu.vu.nl>

I have come across this occasionally, sometimes even just a single article
within an otherwise fulltext available issue. Reported it to our
acquisition dept. They contacted the publisher who then rectified the
problem.

So far there has been no reason to see these gaps as intentional on the
part of the publisher. When the gap covers a longer period such as seems
to be the case in your example, could that not be a backlog in loading the
text, or other accidental mistake, comparable to a missed issue in the
paper version? Could/should the same procedure for claiming the backissues
not be applied here?

greetings,
Anneke Houtkamp
UBVU - Free University Amsterdam, University Library
NL
<JHM.Houtkamp@ubvu.vu.nl>