Electronic resources and collection development (Mark Ferguson) SERIALST Moderator 17 Oct 2002 14:23 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:57:56 -0400
From: "Mark Ferguson" <mferguson@cse.edu>
Subject: Electronic resources and collection development

I am looking for models for collection development policies that take into
consideration the explosion of serials now available in electronic
fulltext form, from various sources, but in particular aggregate fulltext
databases such as Ebsco's Academic Search Premer or Proquest ( to name
just two).  The issues by now are fairly well known (access vs. ownership,
etc) but I haven't found too many examples of actual collection
development policies for serials in which these various electronic
resources have been incorporated into, and actively affect the decision
making process that determines which subscriptions to paper journals are
maintained.  The relatively recent development of serials management
services (such as Serials solutions) may also play a role in how we
incorporate electronic versions of journals into our collection
development policies. Has anyone developed such a collection development
policy or know of one that they would be interested in sharing?  Have
there been any articles published on this particular subject (I haven't
found any).  Given that I am going through the process of developing one
myself, I would be most interested in hearing what the current thinking is
on this matter.

Thanks.
Mark Ferguson
Periodicals librarian, Mahoney Library, CSE
<mferguson@cse.edu>