Re: Electronic resources and collection development (5 messages) SERIALST Moderator 18 Oct 2002 18:32 UTC

5 messages, 157 lines:

(1)---------------------
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:50:55 -0400
From: "Mark Ferguson" <mferguson@cse.edu>
Subject: RE: Electronic resources and collection development (Mary Bailey)

I got a request from someone to share any information I get with them.
Therefore I'm fowarding any relevant responses so anyone interested has
access to them.

Mark Ferguson
Periodicals librarian, CSE

From: Marian Dworaczek [mailto:Marian.Dworaczek@usask.ca]
Subject: Fw: Electronic resources and collection development (Mark
Ferguson)

Mark,
    If you are interested in finding some published resources on the topic,
see my index at: <http://library.usask.ca/~dworacze/SUBJIN_C.HTM>.

    Check under heading:  Collection development of electronic resources
where you will find page-specific references to some 40 articles published.
For full citations see:  <http://library.usask.ca/~dworacze/BIBLIO.HTM>.

Marian
-----
Marian Dworaczek
Head, Acquisitions Department
University of Saskatchewan Library
Room 24, Main Library
3 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK  Canada
Tel.:  (306) 966-6016
Fax:  (306) 966-5919
E-mail:  marian.dworaczek@usask.ca
Web site:  http://library.usask.ca/~dworacze/

(3)-----------------------
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:45:19 -0400
From: "Koveleskie, Judith" <kovelesk@setonhill.edu>

We have debated canceling some our subscriptions, but because we cannot be
guaranteed future access, we are reluctant to take the chance.  However,
for some of the popular titles - Time, Good Housekeeping, Newsweek,
People, Sport Illustrated, etc., we have decided to discontinue microfilm
and binding.  Because we believe that their subscription base is primarily
made up of individual subscriptions rather than institutions, we think it
is unlikely that they will withdraw the full text from EBSCOHost and other
sources if libraries cancel paper subscriptions.  Also, since we are an
academic library, our need for long term access to these titles in
minimal. If full text access is discontinued in the future, we may rethink
this decision because for the possible "missing" years, we will have to
rely on ILL.

We have also found that some accrediting agencies place little value on
electronic resources.  If you don't own it, they don't seem to count it.
We are in the process of developing a written policy for all of this and I
too would like to know that others are thinking.

Judith A. Koveleskie
Periodicals Librarian
Seton Hill University
Reeves Memorial Library
Greensburg, PA 15601
724-838-7828

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:43:30 -0400
From: Matt Person <mperson@mbl.edu>

You may be interested in looking at this course: Virtual Collection
Development (online) All the online classes from the University of
Wisconsin at Madison SLIS are excellent.

--
Matthew A. Person
Serials Librarian                        >)))'>