Price Increases for 2003 (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 20 Nov 2002 15:23 UTC

----------1
From: "Hankel, Hallie" <hhankel@mail.jefferson.lib.la.us>
Subject: RE: Price Increases for 2003 (2 messages)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:10:17 -0600

Hello Everyone:

We are charged $10 extra for many titles that we order through Ebsco.

This is in addition to our 10% service charge.

For example, Ebsconet lists Le Baton Rouge (a Louisiana genealogy magazine)
as $20, but we are charged $30 plus 10%.

I was told that we are charged the extra amount on the titles that are not
popular (not those exact words).

To make matters worse, our renewal list that we got in June did not include
the extra $10.

I think this is a fairly new practice because the last time we had a
contract with Ebsco, I don't think we had the $10 situation.

As Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum might say, "big mental eye roll."

Hallie Hankel
Serials Librarian
Jefferson Parish Library
4747 W. Napoleon Ave.
Metairie, LA 70001-2310
504-838-1100 x253
fax 504-838-1121
hhankel@mail.jefferson.lib.la.us

----------2
From: Dena Luce <dluce@faulkner.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:12:44 -0600

Susan, I've had the very same problem this year.  The first invoice was more
than the renewal and I was told that the renewal does not include the
service charges.  I recently got a second revised invoice that was even more
and was told that the first one did not include the final publishers prices.
I let them know that I was very disgruntled about this and that I didn't
have the money to pay this additional amount.  So I'm sending the invoice
back with a list of about 12-15 titles that I'm canceling in print, to
balance out what we're expected to pay.  These titles are ones that do have
fulltext availability on at least 1 database we currently subscribe to.  Now
I just have to pray that we can afford to keep the databases next year.  I
would suggest that you add about 13% minimum to the renewal amount in order
to estimate what the final invoice will be.  Ebsco says they don't have the
final publisher prices at the time they issue the renewals so 13-15% overage
should keep you safe.