Re: Sky Is Falling Susan M Hendrickson 26 Dec 2002 17:12 UTC

Jeanette and others,

Due to the Faxon situation, I have begun placing our bulk orders directly
with publishers.  A couple publishers told me they had already heard the
news, but the majority, surprisingly, had not.  One publisher mentioned the
fact that Divine had taken many libraries' payments but had not passed them
along to the publishers, therefore it will be up to the publishers to
decide if they will honor libraries' orders anyway (and eat the cost).  I
suspect many will not be able to afford to do so.  It's going to be an
interesting year!

Susan Hendrickson
Acquisitions/Serials Librarian
Jet Propulsion Laboratory Library 111-113
4800 Oak Grove Dr., Pasadena, CA 91109
(818) 354-2883   Fax: (818) 354-1927
susan.m.hendrickson@jpl.nasa.gov

-----Original Message-----

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:23:27 -0600
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Faxon update
***What makes me nervous about this (in addition to numerous other things,
already mentioned here) is that I am not reading *anywhere* in these news
releases anything that tells the world divine has taken money for
subscriptions it has not processed and ordered. Neither have I seen any
indication that publishers have any idea what's up. I'm reading my
end-of-year The Sky Is Falling renewal slips with a whole new eye, and it
scares the heck out of me.
***Please, Santa, tell me I am missing something.
Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive