Re: Percon Barcode Scanner used for Inhouse statistics Ian Woodward 04 Dec 2002 21:30 UTC

        I am pleased Mr. Lester's non-Innopac system does not have this
problem.  The problem I described is insufficiently severe to induce our
systems office to invest in a different system, and I think that would
be the case generally.  Miss Wong is working with an Innopac system.
With regard to technology, I myself am not sure of anything.

        The time of day the data is collected is not of concern to me, but our
director does insist on monthly reports and this is a kink of which one
must be aware if one is not to be presenting one's supervisors with a
very peculiar statistical time series. I couldn't be bothered to do
daily downloads. I have other things to do.

        Courtesy titles are a component of keeping a civil distance from
people, the utility of which remains as it was in 1962, even if fewer
people avail themselves of it.

        We have over 5,000 titles.  I haven't the spare time to be
trolling the aisles looking for missing labels and barcodes.  I do not
know why they were disappearing from the shelves, but they were.  That
in and of itself was a minor problem. We had some superordinate reasons
for junking the previous system which did not have to do with these
physical properties and which were peculiar to this institution.  The
label problem was one I took into consideration in designing a new
system, along with the downloading glitches.

        All of our internal use monitoring is done at a central location, at
stationary workstations, where all books to be reshelved are ordered on
carts.  Our building is not so large that pushing a cart around is so
troublesome.  I have not noticed much systematic association between
where books are found lying about in the building and where they are
shelved, so I cannot see the efficiency gains to be had from
shelving-as-you-go.  At the time we implemented the new system, the
circulation supervisor told me her students preferred the big honkin'
binders to the portable reader.

        Cheers,

                IW

I. Woodward