Re: Direct subscription Rollo Turner 14 Jan 2003 09:46 UTC

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the overwhelming majority of
subscriptions this year , as in every past year, will be handled by agents
at no risk to libraries. The disaster at RoweCom is not typical of the
industry, which generally has a good record for financial stability. There
are many agents who continue to provide good service at good value for their
library customers. The industry as a whole therefore is still healthy and it
is to be hoped with cooperation and goodwill on all sides the damage from
the collapse of RoweCom can at least be minimised. The ASA recognises that
the situation has put considerable strain on the trust that still exists
between libraries, agents and publishers and is in discussion with members
and others in the industry to see what we can do to ensure that business can
continue to be conducted with little or no risk to libraries and publishers
in the future.

Agents provide many different services which might be difficult and costly
for libraries to replicate. Services from agents include, for example, the
provision of MARC records; handling enquiries, claims and orders for
publishers in many different languages in almost all countries of the world;
making available details of prices, online availability and licence
restrictions; setting up electronic journal subscriptions; paying publishers
in good time (for ASA members this is essential) even though the library may
not yet be in a position to pay, minimising the costs of  exchange rate
fluctuations etc etc. All of this can be very labour intensive and the costs
are very often underestimated.

I hope libraries will not be put off using the overwhelming majority of
agents who are both financially sound and provide good service at reasonable
cost.

Rollo Turner
Secretary General
Association of Subscription Agents and Intermediaries
10 Lime Avenue
High Wycombe
Bucks HP11 1DP
UK