Re: Removal of 510 fields from CONSER records -- 2 messages Stephen Clark 27 Feb 2003 19:25 UTC

2 messages:

1)--------------------
From: David Goodman <dgoodman@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: Re: Removal of 510 fields from CONSER records -- Carol Morse
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:37:16

Diagreed- as a reference librarian I have found this information highly
misleading to students, even if accurate. They judge by the length of
the list,
and it
does not discriminate between completely and selectively.
Almost every scientific periodical
in the world is indexed selectively
on at least an occcassional basis by Chemical abstracts, for example.

I recognize its possible utility in other subject areas
where coverage is much more unpredictable.
I cannot immediately see, though, how to make a compromise.
For those who need the info anyway, we do have jake.

Dr. David Goodman
Princeton University Library
and
Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University
dgoodman@princeton.edu

2)----------------------------
From: "Larmore, Dustin" <dustin.larmore@dsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:02:51 -0600

I could not agree more!!  I wish that they were not removing the
information from existing records.

Dustin Larmore (dustin.larmore@dsu.edu)
Technical Services Librarian
Karl E. Mundt Library