Re: Architects, Contractors,Engineers Guide to Construction Costs -- 2003 -- Adam R. Wilder Stephen Clark 11 Feb 2003 20:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:46:34 -0500
From: "Adam R. Wilder" <adam.wilder@temple.edu>
Subject: Re: Architects, Contractors,Engineers Guide to Construction
   Costs -- 2003 -- Jewel Rucker

Title 9 Section 3009 of the United States Code states that the mailing
of unordered merchandise constitutes an unfair trade practice and that
the recipient may treat such merchandise as a gift.  We treat unordered
merchandise as such and send a copy of Title 39 and the following letter
to the sender:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have received from you a book which we did not order, along with an
invoice; please find a copy enclosed.  As far as we can tell, it was
sent to us in hopes that we would wish to purchase.

This marketing approach is illegal.  In accordance with Title 39 of the
U.S. Code, Section 3009, we will consider this book to be a gift, and we
will either keep or  dispose of it as we see fit.  We will do the same
with any unsolicited materials you send us in the future; this includes
unsolicited updates of books we have purchased in earlier editions.

You may feel free to continue sending us free books if you wish.  Be
advised, however, that we will not pay for books we have not ordered,
nor will we invest the staff time necessary to return them to you, even
if you provide postpaid shipping labels.  We would request that in
future, you would not send us additional titles without receiving a
purchase order from our ordering department.

   Adam R. Wilder
Serials Acquisitions Supervisor
Temple University 017-00
Paley Library Serials Unit