Re: Removal of 510 fields from CONSER records -- Carol Morse Stephen Clark 27 Feb 2003 13:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:07:36 -0800
From: "Carol Morse" <MorsCa@wwc.edu>
Subject: Re: Removal of 510 fields from CONSER records -- Jean L.
        Hirons

I think this is an unfortunate decision.  When I look to weed older
titles, that is the first place I look.  If it's heavily indexed, I
think twice about throwing it out.  I can understand why the info would
not be update today, but I don't think it's a good idea to remove the
info from existing records!
Carol Morse

Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509)
527-2684
Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509)
527-2001
Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
104 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1586

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:15:23 -0500
From: "Jean L Hirons" <jhir@loc.gov>
Subject: Removal of 510 fields from CONSER records

This message is being distributed to multiple lists; please excuse the
duplication.

Dear Colleagues,

In November 2002, the Policy Committee of the Program for Cooperative
Cataloging voted to remove most of the abstracting and indexing
coverage
fields (field 510) from CONSER records.  This data was added as part
of
a special project during the mid-1980s with the intention that it
would
be maintained over time. Unfortunately, this has not been the case.
There are many new services not reflected by CONSER records and there
has been no means to verify the existing data. However, 510 fields for
Chemical Abstracts continue to be actively maintained and will be
retained in CONSER records.

This has been a difficult decision. A CONSER task force some years ago
queried the library community as to whether 510 fields should be
deleted
or retained but results were inclusive, with a 50-50 split. The final
decision was based on a recognition that the data has served its
purpose
well, is now readily available online from other sources, and can
never
be actively maintained in CONSER records.

OCLC plans to begin the systematic removal of the 510 fields at the
end
of February and will continue this process through the spring.

Jean Hirons
CONSER Coordinator
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. SE