Web periodical list -- Pauline Smith Stephen Clark 20 Mar 2003 20:42 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:  web periodical list
From:  Pauline Smith <psmith@socc.edu>
Date:  Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:36:56 -0800

Hi,

     Like all the other librarians, I have been trying to find
information to create a one-stop for the students to search our print
periodical titles as well as full text periodical titles (not articles)
available in a number of online databases across several subscription
services.

     We are a small academic library with a small budget.  Unable to use
a commercial service to meet this goal, I have come to learn about using
Microsoft Access database and ColdFusion (which is in our web server) to
create a database-driven web site to display periodical titles, holdings
and hotlinks dynamically.  While I was preparing the database, someone
told me that  the millennium  package of Innovative Interface Inc.
(III), which is our library catalog company, can work with EBSCOhost
(which provides our aggregate databases) and other database companies
(e.g. Proquest) to create that dynamic periodical list on our library
web page.

   We are going to have the millennium package next year.  Is this
information correct?  Has any library established such a periodical list
in your library web page with the joint effort of III, EBSCOhost and
Proquest?

   I have tried a little bit on access and ColdFusion, and I think it can
really serve our purpose.  Has any library successfully implemented an
access+ColdFusion database to display the periodical titles dynamically
in the library web page?

Any information is welcome.

Pauline Smith