Re: Tribune Company content -- Ronald Hardy Stephen Clark 13 Mar 2003 16:47 UTC

Subject: RE: Tribune Company content -- Susan Sheiberg
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:29:48 -0600
From: "Ronald Hardy" <HardyR@central.edu>

Greetings!

We began subscribing to Newsbank (http://www.newsbank.com/) last year
primarily to get access (specifically indexing) to the Des Moines
Register and other Iowa newspapers. The package deal we subscribe to
includes access to the Los Angeles Times (1985- ), Chicago Tribune
(1985- ), and about 150 to 200 other newspapers from around the country
(christian science monitor, USA Today, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, lots
of smaller papers, at least 2 per state.)

Subscription price was based on FTE. I found their sales reps to be very
flexible and helpful in getting us close to what we wanted at a cost we
can almost afford.  To some degree I feel like we are paying quite a lot
of money for full text and indexing to 5 Iowa papers (plus the other
150), but on the other hand, our students are using it quite a bit and
find it MUCH EASIER to use than Academic Universe.

I hope this helps.

Ronald Kane Hardy
Collection Development Librarian
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Central College - Geisler Library
812 University - Pella, IA 50219
641.628.5221 - hardyr@central.edu

"I really didn't realize that librarians were, you know, such a
dangerous group. You think they're just sitting at the desk, all quiet
and everything, but they're like plotting the revolution, man. I
wouldn't mess with them." -- Michael Moore, BuzzFlash interview, 13
March 2002