Re: help with holdings record -- Frieda Rosenberg Stephen Clark 17 Mar 2003 13:26 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:30:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: help with holdings record -- Kelly Joyce

Hi Kelly,
The question is, does your system have the functionality to deal with
ordinal numbers?  The provision for these was missing from the Format
for some years and was recently re-added, so that some systems designed
during the intervening years lack the programming to display ordinals
correctly.

You should find the coding instructions under 85X, enumeration subfields
$a through $h.  The correct symbol is the plus sign, which is put at the
front of the 85X caption:  $a +Half

It's also desirable for the system to automatically insert a space in
the display for any caption without a period at the end, though this
functionality is also often missing (presumably in your system).

As for the 86X, the correct value for "first" would be "1".  The plus
sign in the corresponding subfield in 853, together with the language
code, takes that number and makes it the appropriate ordinal  --"1st" if
English.

That results in the display;  1st Half  (could also use small h)

If your system does not do this, you would either have to display "Half
1" or use a textual holdings statement for the field (866-868). Textual
holdings are free text and were designed to hold data that could not be
displayed correctly using paired fields.  Since the purpose of paired
fields is to parse caption data and enumeration data into separate data
elements, use of free text would be better than spelling out the entire
statement in one of the paired fields.

Please let me know if that doesn't help.

Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloger
UNC-Chapel Hill