Re: Misleading statements on e-journal sites -- Diane Paldan Margaret Prabhu 28 Apr 2003 02:57 UTC

Dear Diane,

This has been very frustrating indeed. It is slightly different from your
example. This happens usually when we delete an online title from the
Library catalogue (called as 'Buddy' which is a gateway for our Electronic
titles)which was previously bundled  free with print and had an entry on
our catalogue. Since the  publisher changed the policy of charging extra
for the online stuff and we had paid only for the print  subscription we
had to delete the online title from our catalogue.
The message "Institution subscription expired ...." comes up only  when the
user searches titles on any 'Search Engine' rather than accessing the
titles through our University  Electronic gateway 'Buddy' or Library
catalogue on OPAC.

I have also contacted the publisher to delete our details from their
website and got a response stating that it is not possible to do so.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Margaret

At 01:50 PM 4/17/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Subject:  Misleading statements on e-journal sites
>From:  Diane Paldan <ad1985@wayne.edu>
>Date:  Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:06:40 -0400
>

>Has anyone experienced the frustration of patrons going to a journal
>website and getting the message.
>
>"Institution subscription expired in Jan. 2003"  --- when your
>institution NEVER had a print subscription or online access to the journal.
>
>Some patrons think we just forgot to pay a bill.  Have there been any
>attempts to get publishers to use language that is less misleading --
>more uniform.   It is a PR issue -- but it can be a significant one.
>

>Diane Paldan
>Serials Librarian
>Serials/Preservation Team
>Resource Services