Re: Publishers refusing to deal with a jobber (Dustin Larmore) Trisha L. Davis 23 May 2003 16:28 UTC

Hi Lisa -

Privately, we have found that EBSCO sends us information that a title must
be ordered "direct" ... then we place it with Swets and it goes through
just fine.     Sometimes I believe EBSCO just doesn't choose to deal with
difficult publishers, and they have admitted as much when we called them on
it!

-- Trisha
At 08:11 AM 5/22/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Dustin,
>I have had a similar experience with Haworth press. Specifically, not a case
>of refusing to deal with the jobber, but rather, a case of paying 2 (or
>more) times as much if I choose to order that way rather than with the
>publisher directly.
>Given the reality of the workflow in most institutions, most publishers seem
>to realize that they are shooting themselves in the foot if they won't allow
>clients to utilize jobbers. Even so, some of them have deduced that we have
>no choice but to pay the higher subscription price for that "luxury."
>
>Lisa S. Blackwell, MLS
>Assistant Librarian
>Children's Hospital Library
>700 Childrens Drive
>Columbus, Ohio 43205-2696
>phone (614)722-3206
>fax (614)722-3205
>blackwel@chi.osu.edu

Trisha L. Davis, Associate Professor
Head, Serials & Electronic Resources Dept
The Ohio State University Libraries             Phone: (614) 292-6314
1848 Neil Avenue Mall  040N                     Fax:   (614) 292-2015
Columbus, OH 43210-1286                 Email:  davis.115@osu.edu