Re: performance evaluations Mitch Turitz 02 Jun 2003 17:44 UTC

Karen,
   At SFSU we have specific language in the faculty manual for
librarians (librarians are faculty here).  I don't know if this will
help you, but here is the URL and the part of the faculty manual
specific to librarians:

http://www.sfsu.edu/%7Eacaffrs/facman/fac-man.htm#997052

Library Retention and Tenure
Effectiveness in Library Assignment. Librarians are evaluated for
tenure according to the Retention and Tenure Policy (S88-120) for all
faculty, with the exception that the criterion of teaching
effectiveness is replaced by the criterion of effectiveness in
library assignment.

Knowledge. Depending upon the candidate's specific area of
assignment, categories to be evaluated may include:

*       Reference and Advisory Service. This category includes
knowledge and degree of mastery of the reference function; its
techniques, materials, and methodology including teaching
effectiveness in a formal classroom situation and/or in daily
informal instruction; the use and location of library materials;
knowledge of reference works; understanding of, and ability in, the
selection process in the development of collections in support of the
instructional program and of reference services. Knowledge and degree
of mastery of reference and information on-line data services.
*       Cataloging and Technical Services. Knowledge and degree of
mastery of cataloging and effective bibliographic control of the
library's collections, knowledge of principles of bibliographic
organization through cataloging and classification; knowledge and
degree of mastery of information sources to provide for effective
access and retrieval.
*       Selection and Acquisition. Knowledge and degree of mastery of
principles and practices of materials selection; degree to which the
materials selected support the curricular needs of the university;
skill in management of book funds.
*       Circulation Services. Knowledge and degree of mastery of the
circulation services function; maintaining an effective lending and
return of materials operation; developing and maintaining accurate
records; and effectively managing the work units responsible for the
Loan, Reserve Book, Stack Maintenance, and Inter-Library Loan
programs to the end that positive public relations be generated with
the library users. Knowledge and degree of mastery of, or
demonstrated ability to master, automated circulation processes and
procedures.

Special Programs and Support Services. Degree of effectiveness in
working with students, faculty, and staff in providing access to, and
order of, library collections; in interpreting and enforcing library
regulations; in resolving difficult problems associated with internal
operations; in gathering and analyzing data to design or implement
new projects or procedures, or plans for physical organization of
materials and personnel.

Administration. Knowledge and degree of mastery of administrative
theory, management practices, and evaluation techniques.

Skills. Depending upon the candidate's specific area of assignment,
categories to be evaluated may include:

*       Productivity. Ability to work independently within
established guidelines; ability to define, plan, and execute
assignments and projects; ability to master new information and
concepts; ability to be analytical, creative, and constructive in
resolving problems and improving library procedures and policies;
ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
*       Flexibility. Ability to work effectively in a range of
library functions and subject areas, as required, to meet changing
library goals and needs.
*       Leadership. Ability to accept responsibility and to see
projects or plans to completion; ability to work in concert with and
through others.
*       Supervision and Management. Ability to develop and/or improve
work methods and procedures; ability to coordinate and integrate the
work of others or organizational components; ability to motivate,
train, develop, and guide employees of varying backgrounds and
skills; ability to establish and maintain standards of quality and
quantity of work produced; ability to provide fair and objective
evaluation of employee performance.

and here is the URL for the various retention and promotion forms
(librarians use the same forms as the teaching faculty):

http://www.sfsu.edu/%7Eacaffrs/RTPcoversheets.htm

-- Mitch

--
  _^_                                                 _^_
(___)-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ( ___ )
|   |                                               |   |
|   |     Mitch Turitz, Serials Librarian           |   |
|   |     San Francisco State University Library    |   |
|   |     President,                                |   |
|   |     SFSU California Faculty Association       |   |
|   |     voice: (415) 338-7883                     |   |
|   |     CFA:   (415) 338-6232                     |   |
|   |     FAX:   (415) 405-0394                     |   |
   V                                                   V
           http://www.cfasf.org   (SFSU web site)
                   cfasf@igc.org) or Mitch Turitz (x. 87883; turitz@sfsu.edu)
                        &
           http://www.calfac.org/  (CFA State-wide web site)