Re: How to obtain Chronologies -- Sandhya D. Srivastava Stephen Clark 23 Jun 2003 14:31 UTC

Subject: Re: How to obtain Chronologies -- Martin House
From: "Sandhya D. Srivastava" <LIBRSDS@Mail1.Hofstra.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:05:48 -0400

Martin

I believe you should be able to get a tapeload (or another format) of
your union listing from OCLC and be able to load your holdings from the
tape (or other format) into your Horizon database.  This is usually the
way I have seen this being done in libraries that are changing one ILS
to another.  You may want to make sure that all your holdings in the
union list are up to date so that all the current information is in and
will be pulled into the tape.  You may have to speak to your Systems
person to see what Horizon requirements are in order to load the proper
way and use the proper format -- if not a tape than a disc?  I do
believe Horizon has specific requirements as to what type of format to
use and system requirements to load.

Sandhya D. Srivastava
Assistant Professor
Serials Librarian
Hofstra University
Axinn Library
123 Hofstra University
Hempstead, New York 11550
Telephone: (516) 463 - 5959
Fax: (516) 463 - 6438
Email: librsds@hofstra.edu

 >>> sdclar@MAIL.WM.EDU 06/23/03 08:30AM >>>

Subject: How to obtain Chronologies
From: "House, Martin" <MHouse@plcmc.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:10:25 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the list (just joined today).  I am currently in charge of
our Serials for the library and am trying to get the Dynix Serials
Module up and running.  We are supposed to move to Horizon, but with the
current budget situation, things are looking gloomy.  I have two
questions for you folks.

1. Has anyone migrated from the Dynix Serials Module to that of
Horizon's, and was is successful?
2. How in the world do I figure out the chronologies of all of our serials?
- I know that one way would be to look at the physical collection, but
we have our collection spread out over 23 branches, and might pose a
problem.
Is there any way to get this information electronically?  I've tried
EBSCO (our vendor), OCLC, Serials Union list. No dice.  I can only find
frequencies and retentions.

If any of you can help, it would be wonderful.

Sincerely,

Martin House