Re: Haworth heads-up -- 3 messages Stephen Clark 25 Jun 2003 12:32 UTC

3 messages:

1)-------------------------------
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Haworth heads-up -- Rick Anderson
From: Christopher Allen Waldrop <christopher.a.waldrop@vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:57:25 -0500

I contacted Haworth to find out what was going on with some of our
online journals and was told that they're being moved to a new server
and this is the cause of the delay. They don't know how long it will
take, but at least that explains the problem. And after the conversation
(which lasted less than two minutes) a journal which had been
unavailable right before I picked up the phone was available immediately
afterward.

Christopher Allen Waldrop
Serials Coordinator
Order Services Department
Vanderbilt University Library
Ph: 615-343-3831
Fax: 615-343-8834

2)--------------------------
From: "Shirley Rais" <srais@llu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:00:53 -0700

And this is from a publisher who is putting a gold sticker on every
issue of their journal titles stating:  FREE Campus-Wide Electronic
Access.  Well at least they didn't say:  We Guarantee It!!!

Shirley Rais, Serials Librarian
Loma Linda University  & Medical Center Libraries
11072 Anderson St.
Loma Linda, CA  92350-0001

Phone: (909) 558-4583
FAX: (909) 558-4919
Srais@llu.edu

3)------------------------------
Subject: RE: Haworth heads-up
From: Jan Velterop <jan@biomedcentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:14:16 +0100

This unfortunate case illustrates how fickle online access to journals
can be if there are no solid arrangements for back-up and mirrors. That
may be difficult to arrange for traditional subscription based journals
anyway, because of the need of access control. Absence of any access
control and of any such barriers to (multiple) mirroring it is just
another benefit of the many that open access journals offer. The open
access journals that we publish at BioMed Central www.biomedcentral.com)
are not just completely freely accessible for any reader, but are also
mirrored in a number of places such as PubMedCentral in the US, INIST in
France and the University of Potsdam in Germany (more mirrors are
planned in the future), so that should our system be down, any
inconvenience to the reader is limited to going to one of the other
servers where the material is also freely available. Furthermore,
because the material is open access, any institution is free to download
and store the full-text in any of their local systms or repositories,
without the need for prior permission or prior arrangements.

Jan Velterop
Publisher BioMed Central