results -- criteria to split periodical collection -- Cynthia Hsieh Stephen Clark 30 Jun 2003 17:03 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: results -- criteria to split periodical collection
From: "Cynthia Hsieh" <chsieh@uop.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:54:27 -0700
To: <SERIALST@list.uvm.edu>

Some of you expressed interests in knowing the replies I received on
criteria used to split journals.  Here is a summary of all the replies I
received:

Criteria mentioned are:
1.
Online availability (many mentioned JSTOR in particular)
2.
Availability via ILL from the other institutions
3.
Level of collecting in this field
4.
Level of usage
5.
Using an arbitrary cut-off date for remote storage (1970 was
used by 2 libraries as the cut-off date for remote storage)
6.
By call numbers

Other comments and advice:
1.
Get faculty and other users involved/informed in the process to
avoid any fiasco in the future (one library had to bring titles out of
storage due to faculty's protest)
2.
1 library withdrew nearly all the titles that are duplicated in
the JSTOR to release space for some other areas
3.
1 library put all the bound volumes in storage
4.
One librarian mentioned "ease of retrieval".  The desirable
goal is "same-day" delivery of article to the requestor.
5.
One library moved closed titles to remote storage

I would like to thank those you replied to my question.  I hope the
above summary will help the others who are planning to do the same.

Cynthia

Cynthia Hsieh
Head of Technical Services/Assistant Professor
University Library
University of the Pacific
3601 Pacific Ave.
Stockton, CA 95211