Current Print Serials Display (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 09 Jun 2003 17:11 UTC

----------1
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:05:44 -0400
From: Jim Latchney <jlatchne@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: Current Print Serials Display (Jean Sibley)

Our Science Library displays as many as they can in the Current Unbound
Periodicals Reading Room, but those titles that aren't technically
periodicals, more than annual or irregular, as well as our exchange titles
do not sit in there but either in the Journal Stacks or Monograph Stacks
(for analyzed sets). I think patron appreciate being able to find as many
of the current titles together as possible and our 3M gates prevent removal
until they can be bound.

===
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:25:16 -0500
From: "Sibley, Betty" <bsibley@gulfcoast.edu>

Currently our community college library has about 50% of its print serial
titles on display in the periodicals section of the library. These are
mostly leisure reading and some subject specific journals. The other 50
percent are housed on bound shelves. We are tossing around the idea of
putting all of our journals that we subscribe to on display. The rationale
is that patrons think we only subscribe to the magazines currently on
display. My feelings are that it would take up precious floor space and
also be a nightmare for shelving purposes. Any insights or suggestions?

Thank you,

Jean Sibley
Serials Librarian
Gulf Coast Community College
Panama City FL 32401
bsibley@gulfcoast.edu
===

Jim Latchney
Serials Cataloguing Unit
University Libraries
University of Michigan
320 HHGL-N
(734) 763 3426
Any opinions expressed are mine alone and should not be construed as
representative of the department, library, or university.

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:21:07 -0400
From: Adam R. Wilder <adam.wilder@temple.edu>

Rather than taking up the additional floor space, the easiest solution may
be to add signage in the display area stating that additional titles are
available on bound shelves.

Adam Wilder
Serials Acquisitions Supervisor
Temple University Libraries