Re: Rolling Stones? -- Peter Picerno Stephen Clark 08 Jul 2003 12:27 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Rolling Stones? -- Rick Anderson
From: "Peter Picerno" <ppicerno@nova.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:00:54 -0400
To: "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum"
<SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>

Well, obviously the Rolling Stones in this case plan to gather no moss
... only money!
(Sorry, I couldn't help myself).

What we usually do when we receive renewal-order notices is to check the
title in our OPAC, and if it's a title we get through our serials vendor
we either trash it or fax it to the vendor for them to follow through.
But this case seems similar to lots of titles we get 'renewal' notices
for or notices that our (non-existent) subscription is about to expire
and urging us to renew our (non-existent) subcription. It's usually
pretty easy to separate the marketing tactics from the valid publisher
notices (which are probably generated and sent to everone on their
mailing label list regardless of whether the subscription is handled
through a vendor or directly with the publisher). These notices do,
however, take up time which could be spent
doing other things.

Peter Picerno