Re: Barcoding Bound Journals -- 7 messages SERIALST Moderator 01 Aug 2003 16:45 UTC

7 messages, 157 lines:

(1)------------------
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:29:10 -0400
From: "Deborah Jensen" <jensen@bostonathenaeum.org>
Subject: RE: Barcoding Bound Journals

>> On 07/31/03 Joyce Radcliff wrote:
Does anyone barcode their bound journals even though they're not
checked out? If so, for what reason? >>>>

We at the Library of the Boston Athenaeum (a small private research
library) bar code our bound journals.  They aren't supposed to circulate,
but we barcode the bound vols. for inventory control & for vol. stats.
Not the most used categories of what we do here, but not much effort for
making inventory easier.  It also helps if we move those vols. to off-site
storage or just have the current bound ed. of something in a different
location, other than the main stacks.  BTW, we use Voyager ILS.

Deborah Jensen

Deborah K. Jensen
Serials Librarian
Library of The Boston Athen=E6um
10 1/2 Beacon Street
Boston, MA   02108

tel:  617-227-0270 ext. 224
fax: 617-227-5266

www.bostonathenaeum.org

(2)-------------------
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:54:57 -0400
From: Marilyn Gane <mgane@andrews.edu>

Hello Joyce
We barcode all our bound journals. Most of our bound volumes are
available for checking out, however even those that are used in house
are scanned before they are re-shelved to monitor usage.

Marilyn Gane

(3)-------------------
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:11:34 -0400
From: "Colleen Smith" <CSmit@mail.als.edu>

We are currently part way through a project to barcode our bound
periodicals.  We are doing so for several reasons:

1) We often override our non-circulating policy for bound journals for
faculty members and having them barcoded allows us to checkout volumes
through our ILS (Sirsi Unicorn)

2) We create item records for each barcoded volume in our ILS.  The
barcoded volumes display in the OPAC so users know exactly what volumes
we own and which, if any, are checked out or missing or at the bindery
before they go to the shelf.  We also include a summary holdings
statement in a local MARC field of the bibliographic record but that
doesn't provide the same level of detail as the item records.

3) For inventory purposes.  Barcoded volumes will allow us to do an
automated inventory at some point.

4) The barcoding project has turned up several cataloging problems.
Cases such as a title being included on a former title or missed title
changes are located and resolved.

Colleen E. Smith
Head of Technical Services
Albany Law School
Albany, New York
Phone: 518-445-2341
email: csmit@mail.als.edu

(4)-------------------
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:44:12 -0400
From: "Leslie O'Brien" <lobrien@vt.edu>

At Virginia Tech we are in the process of barcoding our bound journals for
several reasons.  First, we wanted to have a more accurate volume count of
our holdings.  We verify our holdings statements when we attach the items,
and make corrections to our LDRs in OCLC.  We send bound journals to an
off-site storage facility to make room in our main library, and they have
to be barcoded there for inventory purposes.  We also anticipate
circulating our bound volumes some day, as more and more titles are made
available and archived online.

Leslie O'Brien
Director for Technical Services
University Libraries
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Virginia  24062-9001
540-231-4945 540-231-3694 (FAX)

(5)------------------
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:10:29 -0500
From: "Polakowski, Elizabeth J." <EJPOLAKOWSKI@stthomas.edu>

Yes.  We barcode our non-circulating bound journals but don't bother with
the loose issues.  Here are the main advantages for us.

1.      Easier to do inventory by scanning barcodes
2.      Statistics can be determined easily from barcodes in our system
3.      Automated use counts from scanning barcodes before reshelving
4.      Can change status in the system for individual volumes when one is
missing or being mended
5.      Can track a volume for the rare exception when we check it out to
faculty
6.      Can tell the difference on screen between bound volumes and loose
issues in holdings ranges with gaps by seeing if it's barcoded

It was a seven year project for us to barcode 15,000 bound journals at a
small library with few staff.  The project also identified some other
problems with titles, adding more clean up time.  I wouldn't bother with
it if you have easier ways to accomplish the above list or if those items
aren't necessary at your library.

Betsy Polakowski                        |       We often fear what we
Serials/Technical Services Librarian    |               do not understand.
Archbishop Ireland Memorial Library     |       Our best defense
University of St. Thomas                |               is knowledge.
2260 Summit Ave.                        |
St. Paul, MN 55105                      |               Mr. Tuvok
651-962-5452                            |

(6)------------------
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:29:10 -0400
From: Mark Hemhauser <mbhhbm@american.edu>

We barcode our bound journals even though they do not circulate. With a
hand-held scanner we scan the barcodes of each volume before reshelving.
This file of barcodes is later matched with our item records and we can
get an idea of the use of a given journal title. Eventually this will help
us answer the question, "Does anybody use this title?"

Mark Hemhauser
American University Library--Serials

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:20:53 -0700
From: "Aline Soules" <asoules@csuhayward.edu>

We do--for in-house use statistics.

Aline Soules, Assoc. University Librarian
California State University, Hayward
asoules@csuhayward.edu