Re: Barcoding Bound Journals -- 3 messages SERIALST Moderator 04 Aug 2003 14:42 UTC

3 messages, 86 lines:

(1)------------------
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 09:48:30 -0400
From: "Koveleskie, Judith" <kovelesk@setonhill.edu>
Subject: RE: Barcoding Bound Journals

Joyce,

We do not bar code individual journals but we do have a bar code assigned
to each title.  We have a list of these in a three ring binder with the
bar code beside it and we scan that bar code to provide a usage count
before the volume is re-shelved.  We do the same for current volumes and
microfilm.

Judith Koveleskie
Periodicals Librarian
Seton Hill University
Reeves Memorial Library
Greensburg, PA  15601

(2)-------------------
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:45:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Martha Coleman <mcoleman@uafortsmith.edu>

Hi Joyce,
We barcode our bound journals for inventory purposes.  We have 3 years
to complete an inventory of our entire collection for state auditors.
Every 3rd year we scan the bound periodicals.  As far as the auditors
are concerned, unbound issues don't exist.  Go figure.

We also count use using "Inhouse" count in our Innovative Interfaces
system.   We scan any item removed from the shelves which means we
constantly teach patrons to please not reshelve.  Unbound issues are
counted using a rolodex of titles and barcodes.  We don't know which
unbound issue is used, just how many unbound issues per title were
used.  We've been doing this since Summer, 2000 and the statistics have
been very helpful.  We have used the stats to justify cutting some
titles.  When we report usage to faculty for some of their recommended
titles, it encourages/reminds them to make assignments.  I think it is
worth the effort.
Hope this helps.

Martha

PS...if you are thinking of doing a rolodex, don't use the circular
one.  Heavy use is too hard on the cards and they fall off.  Use one of
the flat tray models.

--
Martha Coleman
Reference/Serials Librarian

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:40:51 -0400
From: Nancy Bickford <bickford@findlay.edu>

Hi Joyce,

    We have barcoded our bound volumes although they do not circulate for
two reasons:  inventory and in-house usage counts.

--
Nancy Bickford
Periodicals Assistant