Re: Print vs. online serials -- 6 messages SERIALST Moderator 20 Aug 2003 19:23 UTC

6 messages, 191 lines:

(1)-------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:54:44 -0400
From: Elyse Hayes <ehayes@icseminary.edu>
Subject: RE: Print vs. online serials -- Jessica Orzechowski

Jessica:

You will probably hear from some experienced people that serials can
disappear from those databases, and you have very little recourse.  I think
that is why libraries that can afford to, keep their print subscriptions for
important titles.

Elyse Hayes
Seminary of the Immaculate Conception
Huntington, NY

(2)-------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:56:30 -0500
From: "Lafferty, Cindy" <CLafferty@sf.edu>
Subject: FW: Print vs. online serials -- Jessica Orzechowski

Three issues to consider before deciding to cancel print:

What happens when there is some kind of problem with the computers or the
server making the databases inaccessible?  With print, at least patrons can
still browse, and if they already have a citation, they can make
photocopies.

What if the databases change the titles they have available in full text?
What guarantee do you have that the title in question will continue to be
available in the database?

Also, databases generally do not include photos, charts, etc. that
supplement the article.  For some publications, these extras are vital.  Art
journals, for example, lose a lot if all you have access to is text.

Cindy Lafferty
Librarian Assistant
University of Saint Francis
CLafferty@sf.edu
(260) 434-7454

(3)------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:48:59 -0500
From: "Larmore, Dustin" <dustin.larmore@dsu.edu>

Jessica,

I hope that your institution is not canceling mission-critical periodicals
simply because the title is availale in only one database.  One of our
rock-solid criteria here is that an electronic version of a journal that is
needed for our curriculum MUST be in at least two databases from different
companies before we cancel the print.  We do not rely on one company to
provide access to an important journal ad infinitum.

Dustin Larmore (dustin.larmore@dsu.edu)
Instructor and Technical Services Librarian
Karl E. Mundt Library
Dakota State University
Madison, SD  57042-1799
Office: (605) 256-5204
FAX: (605) 256-5208
http://www.homepages.dsu.edu/larmored

(4)-------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:50:14 -0400
From: Mary Edwards <edwardme@aii.edu>

Jessica,

Depending on the type of library and type of periodical, you may wish to
have the print versions around for visual reasons.  We're art-oriented
and feel that there is obvious visual benefit to having many of our
magazines around.  However, I once worked in an academic medical
library, and there was also benefit in having print available as well.
Sometimes it is more difficult to see the fine details of a photograph
or medical image online.  It is also harder to "browse" an online
periodical if that is desireable to your students.  But, as always,
content is definitely easier to obtain with a search engine!

You still need to keep track of your subscriptions, online or not.
There may be varying levels of access and lengths of time that you can
access online periodicals (especially retrospectively), so someone still
needs to keep track of that access.  Links to periodicals change
sometimes, so that needs to be maintained.  I used to work for Dialog,
and I know that periodicals come and go from database vendors fairly
regularly.  One needs to monitor that.  There's all kinds of stuff that
needs care and feeding!

This could be a great opportunity for you to broaden your skills to
become an Electronic Resources Librarian!  A very marketable skill,
indeed!  So don't fear, just soak it up!  Good luck!

Mary Edwards
Librarian
Art Institute of California - Los Angeles
2900 31st Street
Santa Monica, CA  90405
310-314-6154
edwardme@aii.edu

(5)-------------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:57:25 -0700
From: "Dalene Hawthorne" <daleneh@stanford.edu>

>>From my perspective, I think the biggest issue out there about print vs.
online serials is the issue of archiving electronic serials.  There are
efforts (like LOCKSS at Stanford) underway in various places to archive
online serials, but it is all complicated by licensing issues which have to
be worked out with publishers.  I think my argument would be that print is
the most secure method of providing archival access until electronic
archiving issues are resolved.

Who is handling access for your online serials?  Maybe that's something you
could become more involved in...

Dalene
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
Dalene Hawthorne, Serials Librarian
Serials Department
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford, CA  94305-6004; U.S.A.
phone: +1-650-725-1122; fax: +1-650-723-4775
email: daleneh@stanford.edu
http://library.stanford.edu/depts/ts/tsdepts/seracq/sa_depts/serials

(6)-----------------
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:08:21 -0400
From: Werner Lind <wlind@mail.bluefield.edu>

    Our small academic library is probably fairly comparable to yours (we
have around 200 print subscriptions).  If print titles which are available in
full-text in any of our databases are very expensive (over $100.00), our
policy is to cancel the print version.  In those cases, however, we channel
the savings back into new print subscriptions to titles which aren't so
expensive.

    Online access is not a replacement for a solid print periodical
collection. Unlike printed periodicals, online databases tend to be accessed
in narrowly-focused searches; they do not lend themselves to cover-to-cover
reading to keep abreast of current scholarship and new developments, trends,
and issues, etc.  Also, computer hardware and software is liable to frequent
malfunctions, and students and faculty cannot be expected to put their
research needs on hold until these are corrected.

--
Werner A. Lind
Assistant Library Director

From: "Jessica Orzechowski" <jess_ann4@hotmail.com>
Subject: print vs. online

Hi,

I work for a small academic library as the periodicals supervisor.  We
subscribe to about 175 print periodicals as well as several on line
databases.  Every time a renewal for the print version comes up, I have to
check if it's in one of the databases and if it is, my boss will frequently
cancel the subscription.  Which leaves me wondering if I'll have a job in a
few years.  If there's nothing to process they don't need me, right.  So I
was wondering if anyone else is in the same position.  What are others doing
in light of the increasing availability of online serials?  I think we
should keep at least some of our subscriptions in print, but what arguments
can I use to convince my boss?  Are there other facets of online access that
I should know so I can implement myself more?  Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Thanks.

Jessica Orzechowski