Re: new microform reader printers? Garry Church 10 Sep 2003 14:21 UTC

With all the hype about some journals going away  from film, aren't
these readers becoming a thing of the past? Seems like any thought about
buying this equipment has to include ideas about the viability of  film
and reader/printers past the next 5 years, as well as the ease of
getting material from a database vs using film.  It seems that film,
altho quite useful for very long term storage and includes all the
effluvia of print materials (like ads and so on that have little
pertinence for many researchers), is harder to access than online
materials.

G Church
Periodicals Librarian
Laredo Community College

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald Hardy [mailto:HardyR@CENTRAL.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 3:40 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: new microform reader printers?

Greetings!

Our library is looking into acquiring a brand new microform reader
printer.  We are looking for any input from those who have purchased one
recently: miracles, horror stories, etc.  We need something that reads
both film and fiche, must be able to print, and prefer something that
doesn't break down (often), and has a relatively simple toner changing
process that doesn't cover the clothes with ink.

I hear that "analog" readers are no longer on the market, that "digital"
reader-printers are what's happening now.  Does "digital" mean hiring a
microform maintanance person full time?  Any bugs from going from analog
to digital?

Any prefered brands out there, or any to stay far far away from?

You may reply off the list.  Thank you very much!

Ronald Kane Hardy
Collection Development Librarian
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Central College - Geisler Library
812 University - Pella, IA 50219
641.628.5221 - hardyr@central.edu

"I really didn't realize that librarians were, you know, such a
dangerous group. You think they're just sitting at the desk, all quiet
and everything, but they're like plotting the revolution, man. I
wouldn't mess with them." -- Michael Moore, BuzzFlash interview, 13
March 2002